G.H.G. Khalsa College, Gurusar Sadhar has the benign blessings of Guru Hargobind Sahib, who spent significant moments of his life here. This place, where now we have the magnificent edifice housing the colleges,was in about 1920, a waste stretch of land. With Almighty's blessings in 1921,Nihang Shamsher Singh Ji, a great devotee of Guru Sahib, has a visionary dream and established a "Gurmukhi Pathshala" which he used to call "a college". Miraculously, Nihang Ji's blessings worked wonders and in 1948, Guru Hargobind Khalsa College, Gurusar Sadhar came into existence as a degree college. The purpose behind its establishment was to cater to the demand of higher education of rural students. The college motto "Simple Living and High Thinking" clearly reflects it.
Presently, this great institution of higher education, which is known as "A wonder in Rural Setting" has about three thousand students on its rolls studying in multi faculty graduate and post graduate classes. The beautiful sprawling and highly appealing college campus in about thirty acres includes Nihang Shamsher Singh Hall, Nihang Shamser Singh Stadium, Sardar Sardara Singh Sport Complex, Six-a-Side Hockey astro turf, Indoor Shooting Range & Gymnasium Hall, Dhillon Open Air Threatre, Faculty Houses, Guru Hargobind Boys' Hostel, Mata Ganga Girls' Hostel, Student Centre, a well-stocked Library, up-to-date laboratories, beautiful administrative block, an ultra-modern Seminar Hall, and huge modern infrastructure for instruction and education. Infact, the whole complex is a treat to eyes. Pollution free atmosphere, verdant grounds, beautiful lawns with flowers, plants and tree with a colorful fountain further enhance its beauty and grandeur.
Keeping in view the changing scenario in educational patterns, the college made a steady but tremendous progress. Initially, only conventional subject in science and arts streams were offered but with passage of time, advanced subjects in science, technology and vocation were introduced.In 1982, B.Com. was introduced an M.A. English was re-introduced. In 1984, Diploma in Pharmacy was a successful venture, which resulted in the introduction of B.Pharm. in 2001 and M.Pharm. in 2007.By establishing a computer center in the college in 1990, it got the distinction of being the first in Panjab University. In 1997, "Computer Hardware and Maintenance Certificate Course" under Panjab Consumer Electronics Limited were introduced to benefit the rural girls and poor women. In 1998, B.C.A. and B.B.A. courses made entry while in 1999 subjects of Psychology and Public Administration were made available. In 2001, M.Sc. (IT) and P.G.D.C.A. course were made available U.G.C. sponsored add-on courses in Functional English, Edition and Punjabi Language & Culture were introduced in 2004. In 2006 M.Sc. (Mathematics) was started and the prestigious course of B.Sc. (Biotechnology) was introduced in 2007.Two more postgraduate course M.Sc. (Chemistry) and M.A. (History) were added from the session 2009-2010. A new vocational course in "Computer Based Accounting" was made available in 2011.Three postgraduate courses M.Sc. (Physics), M.A. (Punjabi), M.Com. and one undergraduate course B.B.A. were started from the session 2015-16.Second unit of B.Com. was also made available to cater to the high demand of the area. Apart from this Music (Vocal) subject was introduced at the undergraduate level from the last session. Session 2014-15 proved to be a milestone in the history of this institution as Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi established its Regular Study Center on the campus. This will help in the mission of the college to make higher education available to each and every one in all possible ways. College is going to start B.P.Ed., B.A. /B.Sc., B.Ed. (4 years integrated course), B.Voc. (Food Processing and Quality Management) and B.Voc.(Medical Lab. Technology) courses from the session 2016-17.
This institution was visited by NAAC Peer Team from 10 to 12 September 2015 for assessment and accreditation purpose. This team from National Assessment and Accreditation Council, Bengaluru, after thorough evaluation based on seven different criterions granted 'A' grade with 3.11CGPA.
The college is thus making a tremendous progress under the able guidance of Sardar Manjit Singh Gill, President, College Governing Council, who is a dynamic and a versatile personality with a deep & far sighted vision.